Class 13 TUE FEB 28
The value of your vote is in jeopardy. In 23 states, over the last year, regulations have been tightened to make casting a vote in an election more difficult. MORE DIFFICULT. Everything else in life, including psychotherapy, can be done on your phone. But elections, apparently, have to be made harder every few years, are only legitimate if done in person, and should be reserved for people who can stand up to strict challenges to their own legitimacy.
For those of us who CAN and DO vote in every election, when we vote for a legislative office such as the Senate or the House, we are reminded that legislators (at least the members of the party in charge) have the power to draw their own voting district maps.
Here’s why it matters.
The Visual Rhetoric Unit
A Portfolio Assignment
Visual Rhetoric (and the Visual Rhetoric Rewrite)
- For the next several weeks, you’ll be assigned a Portfolio Task every week.
- Your first Portfolio assignment was your Definition/Categorical argument.
- The next (and the only one not directly connected to your Research Position Paper) is the Visual Rhetoric Analysis.
- You’ll receive provisional analysis of your first draft, then post a Visual Rhetoric Rewrite, which you’ll add to your Portfolio at the end of the semester.
Visual Analysis of a Static Image
- To get warmed up to the idea of Visual Analysis, let’s start with a static image before moving on to motion pictures.
- Visual Rhetoric, Static Image