- The bean belt – coffees from around the world. Adams + Russell Coffee Roasters. (2021, July 20). Retrieved October 23, 2021, from https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/the-bean-belt-coffees-from-around-the-world/
A: This article talks about where specifically coffee comes from. The specifics are centered around the “Bean Belt” where all coffee is grown because of the ideal climate. This article goes in depth about each region and what makes the coffee from each different from each other.
B: I used this article to gain information about the specifics about the “Bean Belt.” I also used this article to gain information about the different types of coffee beans and where they were grown.
2. Fletcher, I. (2002). Ian Fletcher an effective approach for the … – core. An Effective Approach for the Management of Waste Coffee Grounds. Retrieved October 23, 2021, from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/74208261.pdf
A: This article details different ways coffee is managed in the sense of waste management. This article provides specific statistics which detailed where coffee grounds go after they are initially used.
B: I used this article to gain specific information and statistics about waste management of coffee grounds. This proved very useful in my search for reliable statistics to help my claims.
3. Rankinen, L. (2020, December 16). Unique research revealed that significant amounts of coffee go to waste. Luonnonvarakeskus. Retrieved October 23, 2021, from https://www.luke.fi/en/references/significant-amounts-of-coffee-go-to-waste/
A: This article details how much coffee goes to waste on the side of the consumer. This article provided reliable statistics and information that gave insight to the amount of waste contributed by each household.
B: I used this article to efficiently illustrate the coffee waste contributed by each household. The statistics and information provided helped me explain the total amount of waste produced. This article helped me prove some questions I had in regards to the consumer side of things.
4. Okafor, J. (2021, September 14). Coffee – environmental impact of our caffeine habit. TRVST. Retrieved October 23, 2021, from https://www.trvst.world/sustainable-living/coffee-environmental-impact/#cmf_footnote_5
A: This article is very detailed in the aspects of the environmental impact of the coffee industry. Soil degradation, loss of natural habitat, coffee pollution, consumer pollution, resource consumption, coffee waste, coffee production impact, and tips on how to efficiently use sustainable coffee consumption methods. These were all things described in great detail in this article.
B: I obtained a ton of information from this article. Much of the information I didn’t already know, which was great for my progress through this topic. I gained very valuable information from this article that helped me validate hypothesis.
5. Sorby, K. (2002, June). Environmental benefits of sustainable coffee. Documents & reports – all documents. Retrieved October 23, 2021, from https://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/831701468762315416/text/295970Env0bene10also02453501public1.txt
A: This article went into detail about sustainable methods of growing coffee beans. This article provided a ton of details behind the method of shade grown coffee beans. This article also provided details about environmental vulnerability about growing coffee beans.
B: This article provided great insight about shade grown coffee beans. I learned a lot and gained valuable information that helped me move along in the process of developing my hypothesis.
6. IvyPanda. (2021, August 4). Starbucks Company’s Environmental Impacts. Retrieved from https://ivypanda.com/essays/starbucks-companys-environmental-impacts/
A: This article was centered around Starbucks and its environmental impact. This article provided detailed information about the past and present of Starbucks and how they are improving their business model to be more environmentally sustainable.
B: I gained very detailed information about the past and present of Starbucks sustainability in conjunction with the environment. This article was very helpful to really understand Starbucks’s impact on the environment.
7. Dunkin’ Sustainability Fact Sheet. (n.d.). Retrieved December 7, 2021, from https://news.dunkindonuts.com/file/sustainability-fact-sheet?action=
A: This article by Dunkin’ really illustrated how the future of Dunkin’ will be sustainable and safe for the environment. This article provided dates and plans for how they will conduct their future as a leading representative of the coffee industry.
B: This article was very informative and helpful for the large section I dedicated to one of the largest brands in the coffee industry. It also reinforced the collaboration with the Rainforest Alliance, which was a big part of my analysis of the coffee industry.
8. Kraft Heinz releases Maxwell House Compostable Coffee Pods in Canada. Waste360. (2020, September 4). Retrieved December 7, 2021, from https://www.waste360.com/sustainability/kraft-heinz-releases-maxwell-house-compostable-coffee-pods-canada
A: This article provided statistics and specific studies that revolved around the Maxwell House brand. It illustrated the detailed past, present and future of the brand as a whole. This article also provided quotes from the brand, and future sustainability of the brand.
B: This article perfectly illustrated the current plans of sustainability for Maxwell House. I learned a lot about how the brand operates and their plans for the future.
9. Scauzillo, S. (2019, July 19). The curious, environmental case of the keurig K-cups (or what to do with them). San Gabriel Valley Tribune. Retrieved December 7, 2021, from https://www.sgvtribune.com/2019/07/19/the-curious-environmental-case-of-the-keurig-k-cups-or-what-to-do-with-them/
A: This article talks about the sustainability, or lack thereof, of the brand Keurig. The article provides specific statistics about the impact of the K-Cups and how detrimental they are to the environment. This article provided specific information about the different types of plastics and their recyclability. The article also provided useful information about the current plans for the Keurig brand.
B: This article was very helpful to fully understand the Keurig brand. The statistics and quotes provided were very helpful to illustrate the impact of the Keurig brand.
10 Fair Trade Coffee. Grounds for Change. (n.d.). Retrieved December 7, 2021, from https://groundsforchange.com/blogs/learn/fair-trade-coffee
A: This article provided reliable information about the Fair Trade Certification and their impact on the coffee industry. This article laid out their goals and specifics about how Fair Trade impacts farmers. This article provided useful information on why this non-profit organization is so important to the farmers and more importantly the world as a whole.
B: I used this article to provide reliable information about Fair Trade and their Certification. The information in this article was the basis for much of my research.
11. Rainforest Alliance Certification. What is Rainforest Alliance certified coffee? (n.d.). Retrieved December 7, 2021, from http://www.ethicalcoffee.net/rainforest.html
A: This article provided information about the Rainforest Alliance and its pledge to conserve biodiversity and promote sustainability. This article gave detailed information about the Rainforest Alliance’s certification standards and how a farm or brand becomes certified.
B: This article was very helpful to really understand what the Rainforest Alliance really is. I used much of this information to build upon my hypothesis and promote a sustainable and environmentally friendly way to grow coffee beans. This article in conjunction with the Fair Trade article morphed much of my arguments about sustainability.