20 Class WED MAR 31
The Definition of a Kilogram
- The Definition is about to Change
- “If Le Grand K gets heavier or lighter — or absorbs atoms of something from the air — the definition of the kilogram literally changes. Scientists believe something like this has been happening, because Le Grand K seems to now weigh slightly less than its official copies.”
- “The originators of the metric system based it on the globe itself, with the meter described as one 10-millionth of the distance from the North Pole to the equator. But, for a long time, the meter was literally a metal bar in France. As physics advanced, says Schlamminger, scientists were able to ditch the metal bar and define the meter in terms of the distance that light can travel through a vacuum in about one 300-millionth of a second.”
- The New Kilogram is based on Planck’s constant
- Now, after researchers spent years creating an elaborate new kind of weighing machine called a Kibble balance, it’s finally the kilogram’s turn. In the future, to see whether a hunk of metal really weighs 1 kilogram, it won’t have to get flown to France and compared with Le Grand K. It can be evaluated in this type of instrument, using Planck’s constant.”
.The Consequence of Perfect Attendance Awards
Visual Rhetoric Workshop
- Let’s work together to improve the Visual Rhetoric Arguments of some sample videos.
Verbal Rhetoric Workshop
- Let’s work together to improve the Rhetorical Strategies of some paragraphs from students who have offered their work for review.
Take Home Task
Due 11:59pm WED MAR 31
The Grammar Basics Exercise