11 Class THU OCT 07
Linking to sources in your posts
If you’ve tried to import links into your posts to guide readers to a source, you may have noticed they can be super-long and clumsy, like this:
URL BEFORE BITLY
Help is available from any number of free link-shortening sites such as bit.ly and 3.ly.
URL AFTER BITLY
- Navigate to any website with a long url.
- Copy the url onto your clipboard. OR copy the super-long url from the block above.
- (Ctrl+C, or ⌘+C, or right-click plus Copy function)
- Navigate to a link-shortening site.
- bit.ly or 3.ly or tinyurl.com
- bit.ly requires a free account
- 3.ly and tinyurl.com will permit immediate shortening without an account
- Paste your long url link into the provided url field.
- Choose the “shorten link” command (language may vary).
My results: https://tinyurl.com/pdc2hnc5
My results: https://3.ly/ac2HP
My results: https://bit.ly/3iGV42d
- The Recent Comments section of the sidebar should look representative of the most interactive members of the class. Success in this course means engaging in the recursive process of writing (incorporating the ideas of others, synthesizing them with your own, sharing the results with the World Laboratory of Ideas, and suffering—I mean celebrating—the reactions of others, incorporating those new ideas, and so on).
- This sort of conversation should be happening in the feedback cycles for your White Paper. When it does, your avatar will find a regular spot in the “Recent Comments” section of the blog, where it belongs as often as possible.
- Do not wait for your Professor to initiate these dialogues.
- However, in many cases, your Professor has already initiated these dialogues and is impatiently awaiting your engagement. 🙂
- When you feel lost, need clarification, want to bounce a new idea off of someone, need help finding a source (or knowing what terms to search for), drop a comment on your White Paper (as soon as you have one) or on whichever of your posts is most appropriate.
In-class Task (or Take-Home Task if we don’t have time in class)
DUE TODAY IN CLASS or by 11:59 pm today